Intra-University Transfer Students
(or becoming dually enrolled with the College of Arts and Sciences/Maxwell School and another college)
The College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) welcomes students transferring from other colleges within Syracuse University. We aim to support students in their academic endeavors and pursuits, and provide a positive experience for Intra-University Transfer students as they transition to A&S. To assist in the transfer process, students are encouraged to review our academic policies and procedures in regards to degree completion requirements and the transfer credit evaluation process found in the Liberal Arts Guidebook.
The application deadline to IUT is the first day for the specific semester in which a student wishes to enroll. Prior planning is always helpful, so don’t wait until the last minute to submit your application.
- Applicants must complete the IUT form (see link below).
- Students are required to submit a completed declaration of major form with their application, unless they are undecided. After a student has completed 40 credits, a major declaration is required. Students applying to be undeclared after 40 credits will need to submit a personal statement explaining why they need to remain undeclared after 40 credit hours. There will be no undeclared students admitted with 60 or more credit hours, a signed major declaration form is required.
- Students must submit a copy of their unofficial (advising) transcript.
- Applicants must have a current cumulative Syracuse University GPA of at least 2.0.
- A&S will consider applications from, but not guarantee admission to, students with a cumulative GPA below the 2.0 minimum. Such students must submit a letter with their application that explains their previous academic difficulties, the major they are interested in pursuing, and why they believe they will be successful in A&S.
Students ready to start the IUT process for the School of Arts and Sciences/Maxwell School should complete the IUT Survey.
Students with questions about the IUT process should contact the College of Arts and Sciences/Maxwell School IUT Team.
When a student is admitted to A&S through the Intra-University Transfer process, all previous transfer credit received from other institutions will be re-evaluated by the college. A&S awards transfer credit upon the receipt of all official transcripts received from prior institutions and according to the college's Transfer Credit Evaluation guidelines.
Effective spring 2020, all incoming Intra-University Transfers will be required to submit a WES Evaluation for any international transfer credit and will be subject to the 16 transfer credits post-matriculation rule.