Completing Your Degree
Our academic counselors are here to guide you with completing your degree requirements, meeting your academic goals, and optimizing your undergraduate experience at Syracuse University. All students in the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) are required to complete all specified requirements in order to obtain their undergraduate degree. All students must complete the College's Liberal Arts Core Requirements and the requirements of their major. In addition, all students must:
- Complete at least 120 credits to graduate. 96 of these MUST be Arts and Sciences credits. Students in dual degree programs must earn 90 Arts and Sciences credits. Completing the Liberal Arts Core and major requirements may not complete the 96 Arts and Sciences credits needed to graduate; other Arts and Sciences electives may be necessary to reach the 96 in total;
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0;
- Earn a minimum GPA of 2.0 in all of the upper-division courses of their major;
- Earn the total number of upper-division credits (a minimum of 30 for all students)
To maintain adequate degree progression, students should take a minimum 15 credits each semester in anticipation of completing their degree requirements within eight regular academic semesters, or four years. Of course, many students bring in AP credit or IB credit pursue transfer credit from other institutions (see Frequently Asked Questions about Transfer Credit) to design their own academic plan; however, all students are strongly encouraged to meet regularly with our advising team to confirm that their academic goals align with their plans.
Degree Certification Deadlines
Degree award dates are May 10, 2020, August 28, 2020 and December 22, 2020. All coursework, regardless of where the course was taken, must be completed and graded on or before these Syracuse University degree award dates.
Please follow the degree certification deadlines below
- To be certified as a May 10, 2020 graduate: all grades and official transcripts for the completed coursework must be received and processed by the College by 5 p.m. May 8, 2020. Only coursework initiated and completed during the Syracuse University Spring 2020 term, or an earlier term, will be considered for May 10, 2020 degree certification.
- To be certified as an August 28, 2020 graduate: all grades and official transcripts for the completed coursework must be received and processed by the College by 5 p.m. August 28, 2020. Only coursework initiated and completed during the Summer 2020 term, or an earlier term, will be considered for August 28, 2020 degree certification.
- To be certified as a December 22, 2020 graduate: all grades and official transcripts for the completed coursework must be received and processed but the College by 5 p.m. December 22, 2020. Only coursework initiated and completed during the Syracuse University fall 2020 term, or an earlier term, will be considered for December 22, 2020 degree certification.
Grades or transcripts received after these dates will move your degree date to the next graduation cycle.
The College of Arts and Sciences and the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs will host convocations for undergraduate and master's candidates. Each convocation includes individual recognition of the degree candidates as their names are read and they cross the stage to be greeted by Dean Karin Ruhlandt, Dean David Van Slyke, and others. Both convocations are followed by receptions for the participating students to enjoy in the company of families, friends and faculty members.
For details about Syracuse University's 2020 Commencement Weekend, please visit the Commencement website.
A&S/Maxwell Undergraduate Convocation: TBD
A&S Masters Convocation: TBD