Skip to main content

Transfer Credit: Frequently Asked Questions

Does Syracuse University accept transfer credit?
Syracuse University accepts transfer credit from any accredited two- or four-year institution.

Can I take take transfer credit at an institution outside of the United States?
The College of Arts & Sciences does accept transfer credit outside of the United States, however, starting in Fall 2019 all current and incoming students will be required to submit a course-by-course WES evaluation for any credits they have taken outside of the United States. Please check out the WES Evaluation FAQ page for additional information.

How do I transfer credit from another institution to Syracuse University?
You must complete the Transfer Credit Petition prior to registering for classes at another institution

What signatures do I need to obtain on the transfer credit petition?

  • The Major/Minor Department Chairperson will review the petition if the course is to be applied toward your major or minor. 

    For contact information, visit Academic Department websites.

  • The appropriate departmental chairperson will review the petition if the course will be applied toward  language, math, or writing studio requirement for your Liberal Arts Core. 

  • Only your signature if the course is to be applied toward your Liberal Arts Core requirements (not including language, math or writing studio), Arts and Sciences elective credit, or non-Arts and Sciences elective credit

  • Return the completed and signed petition to 342 Hall of Languages for College approval.

Is there a maximum number of credits that can be transferred to Syracuse University?

  • A maximum of 66 credits from a combination of credit from a two-year college and any other credit (e.g., Ap exams, experiential learning) will be accepted. 
  • A maximum of 90 credits from a combination of credit from a two-year program and a four-year program and/or any other credit (e.g., AP credit). 

Please note: 30 credit hours must be completed at Syracuse University to receive a Syracuse University degree. Students are able to transfer credit hours; however, grades earned at another institution are not calculated in the Syracuse University grade point average.

Is there a maximum number of transfer credits I can take during my time at Syracuse? 

Effective Fall of 2019, students can take up to 16 credits towards their Syracuse University Degree post matriculation. 

Please note: Matriculated students who have already transferred in more than 16 credits post matriculation will not be able to transfer in any additional transfer credits. 

Is there a maximum number of transfer credits I can count towards my degree? 

This depends on where you would like to transfer credits to count. 

  • For a minor you can take up to a maximum of three transfer credits. 
  • For a major it varies based on the department preference. Please check the course catalog to find out what your majors specific limits are. 

What grade do I need to earn in the approved course to receive transfer credit?

You must earn at least a “C” or better in an approved course to receive transfer credit. Pass (P) or Satisfactory (S) grades are never accepted toward the fulfillment of majors/minors or the A&S Liberal ARts Core requirements. Courses graded as a P or S are accepted as transfer elective credit only, when P or S is equivalent to a grade of C or higher. 

Can I transfer credit for non-Arts and Sciences courses?

Yes. A maximum of 24 non-Arts and Sciences elective credits may count toward degree completion.

Is there a deadline for submitting a transfer credit petition?

No. However, it takes the Transfer Credit Evaluation Team an average of 5-7 business days during the semester to process petitions. During peak times such as registration and the start and end of each semester it will take the Transfer Credit Team 7-10 business days to process a petition. 

How will I know if my petition is approved?

Once your petition has been reviewed and approved or denied, we will notify you via email to your Syracuse University account. 

Once I complete my approved course, how do I officially transfer the credit?

Please have an official (sealed) transcript sent to the following address:

Advising and Career Services
College of Arts and Sciences
342 Hall of Languages
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY 13244-1170

For electronic official transcripts, please have them sent to the following email address:

Once we review your official transcript, we will post the credits to your academic record at Syracuse University and they will show up on your Degree Works within 24 hours.