Become a stronger, more accomplished writer. The Writing Center offers one-on-one consulting services to support the success of all Syracuse University students.
All Writing Center services will be offered online this fall.
Each year, thousands of SU students from various academic and cultural backgrounds visit the Writing Center for help with a wide range of writing projects, including academic assignments, internship applications and professional portfolios. We offer face-to-face appointments as well online sessions to all students, regardless of grade level or major.
Three ways to get help
The Writing Center makes it easy for you to get in touch and get the help you need.
- The Writing Center will offer synchronous and asynchronous online appointments from August 24th through December 6th.
- Face-to-face: The Center will NOT offer face-to-face appointments in fall 2020.
- Email us: Send an email with your questions and a brief paper in progress (5 pages, max).
- Instant message: Make an appointment to chat in real time.
No matter which form of support you choose, writing consultants will work with you at any stage of your writing process. Consultants can help you to:
- Interpret an assignment sheet, talk through ideas for a project, discuss course readings, or plan for a paper.
- Consider choices with regard to audience, focus, reasoning, or organization.
- Develop ideas with greater specificity.
- Acquire research strategies, integrate scholarly sources and apply proper documentation.
- Improve editing and proofreading skills, expand vocabulary, and better understand technical conventions of academic writing.
Graduate students may also make use of the Graduate Editing Center, which provides free editing and proofreading services. Our editors work with a range of texts, from dissertations and master's theses to articles, conference presentations and grant proposals.