The application deadline for this program is January 15.
Students seeking admission to the M.A. program in art history must submit:
- the standard application forms generated by the Graduate School;
- have a Bachelor's degree, normally as an art history major, at an accredited institution;
- submit academic transcripts of all undergraduate studies;
- three (3) letters of recommendation from instructors familiar with the applicant's academic work;
- a substantial writing sample;
- please note that GRE scores are not currently required for application to the M.A. program in art history.
The preferred method of application for graduate study at Syracuse University is online. The application and instructions are available at the Graduate School.
International students must also submit TOEFL scores. Candidates who have a degree from an accredited U.S. college or university may request an exemption by contacting the Director of Graduate Studies.
Qualifying Examinations & Language Competencies
All newly matriculated students are required to pass a competency exam in the history of art. This qualifying exam tests the student's broad background in the discipline and consists of sixty slide identifications of major monuments and forty brief definitions of terms.
All graduate students must also demonstrate reading ability in one foreign language pertinent to their program of study, usually French, German or Italian.
Students who do not pass these exams must file a petition form within one month for re-testing. This petition should be completed after consultation with the student's advisor and should state the method of preparation and date for re-taking the exam.