B.A. in Music History and Cultures
The major in Music History and Cultures is designed for students who wish to study music in its historical, social and cultural contexts and in relation to other arts. Although majors are encouraged to develop performance skills, the focus of the degree is on the study of musical cultures and styles in a liberal arts environment.
- Explain the diverse functions and cultural meanings that music has had in both western and non-western societies.
- Distinguish among stylistic differences in musics of different eras and from different cultures.
- Explain historical changes in musics of different eras and from different cultures.
- Apply central issues and methods of scholarship in our fields.
- Express ideas clearly through writing.
- Demonstrate proficiency in musical skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in musical performance.