Associate Dean of Research and Scholarship
A&S Dean's Cabinet
208 Tolley Humanities Building
- 1990 Ph.D. in Physics, Princeton University
- 1985 Certificate of Advanced Study (Part III Maths), Cambridge University
- 1984 B.S. in Physics and Mathematics with distinction, Harvey Mudd College
- Condensed matter and statistical physics.
- Disordered materials, such as random magnets and interfaces in a random environment.
- Computational physics.
- Links between ideas for algorithms and physical principles.
Visualization of clusters and multifractal walls found in computer simulations of a disordered material.
(May 9, 2017)
Professor and chair of physics, Middleton will ensure continued development of sciences, mathematics, humanities
(Dec. 15, 2016)
A. Alan Middleton is a newly elected 2016 Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2010 - present
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellowship, 1995-1999
"Exact algorithm for sampling the two-dimensional Ising spin glass", Creighton K. Thomas, A. Alan Middleton. Physical Review E 80, 046708 (2009).
"Statistics of static avalanches in a random pinning landscape", Pierre Le Doussal, A. Alan Middleton, Kay Joerg Wiese, Physical Review E 79, 050101 (2009).
"Are Domain Walls in Spin Glasses Described by Stochastic Loewner Evolutions?", D. Bernard, P. Le Doussal, and A. Alan Middleton, Physical Review B 76, 020403(R)(2007).
"The three-dimensional random field Ising magnet: interfaces, scaling, and the nature of states", A. Alan Middleton and Daniel S. Fisher, Physical Review B 65, 134411 (2002).
"Collective Transport in Arrays of Small Metallic Dots",Physical Review Letters 71, 3198 (1993). A. Alan Middleton and Ned S. Wingreen.