The National Honor Society for Neuroscience
Nu Rho Psi (Ν Ρ Ψ)
New York Delta (Δ) Chapter - Syracuse University
- Caroline Baggeroer (President)
- Elaine Marji (Vice President)
- Eldon Hard (Secretary)
- Clare Hough (Treasurer)
- Aliya Elsawi (Membership Chair)
- Kelsey Shank (Events Chair)
- Brooke Rhinesmith (Historian)
- Katharine Lewis (Faculty Advisor)
What is Nu Rho Psi?
- Nu Rho Psi is the National Honor Society in Neuroscience, founded in 2006 by the Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience and now an independent honor society.
- We are a non-profit, grass-roots organization comprised of neuroscientists.
- Charters have been awarded to over 75 chapters, in all regions of the United States. We are the fourth chapter in New York State—New York Delta.
The purpose of Nu Rho Psi is to:
- Encourage professional interest and excellence in scholarship, particularly in Neuroscience;
- Award recognition to students who have achieved such excellence in scholarship;
- Advance the discipline of Neuroscience;
- Encourage intellectual and social interaction between students, faculty, and professionals in Neuroscience and related fields;
- Promote career development in Neuroscience and related fields;
- Increase public awareness of Neuroscience and its benefits for the individual and society;
- Encourage service to the community.
Who may join?
- Undergraduate and graduate students who are majoring in Neuroscience or undertaking the graduate concentration in Neuroscience and who meet the academic qualifications can apply to become members.
- Nu Rho Psi is also open to qualifying Neuroscience faculty and alumni of Neuroscience programs.
- We accept applications at the beginning of each semester.
To join Nu Rho Psi email the faculty advisor for the form.
Requirements for membership
- Have declared the Neuroscience ILM major;
- Have completed at least 3 semesters of college;
- Have completed at least 9 credits of Neuroscience courses. This can include core courses and electives;
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.2 in all of your courses and 3.5 in Neuroscience courses.
- Have declared the graduate concentration in Neuroscience;
- Have completed at least 9 credits of required classes for the graduate concentration in Neuroscience;
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 in all of your graduate courses and in Neuroscience courses.
- Teach and research in the area of neuroscience and are employed by Syracuse University.
Students and faculty are elected to membership by the New York Delta chapter according to the provisions in the national Nu Rho Psi Constitution and our own By-Laws.
Membership in Nu Rho Psi is open to qualified candidates regardless of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, disability, color, religion, or national or ethnic origin.
What are the benefits of membership?
- Nu Rho Psi membership provides recognition of academic excellence in the interdisciplinary field of Neuroscience. Students who become members of Nu Rho Psi are selected based on their superior scholarly accomplishments.
- Nu Rho Psi membership is for life and it is often a springboard for networking and research collaboration.
- Our chapter of Nu Rho Psi organizes events and activities around the theme of Neuroscience.
- Nu Rho Psi sponsors both regional and national meetings where young neuroscientists from around the country gather to share scientific findings.
- Nu Rho Psi offers competitive travel awards for undergraduate members to attend and present their research at the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting.
- Nu Rho Psi also offers competitive research grants to facilitate our member's senior theses or other scholarly projects.
- Chapters may apply for Nu Rho Psi grants to promote their educational and community initiatives.
- Nu Rho Psi mentors members through publications (e.g., The Nu Rho Psi Guide to Graduate School in Neuroscience) and provides support to foster other outreach activities of the Society.
- News and additional information about benefits are available to members via the Nu Rho Psi Newsletter.
- Members receive membership certificates and lapel pins as an indication of the honor they have earned.
What is the cost?
- Membership in Nu Rho Psi is for life.
- There is a one-time induction fee ($40.00 for students; $50.00 for faculty) to the National organization, and chapter dues of $10 per semester.
However, no one should be deterred from applying because of financial need.
Enquiries about financial assistance can always be made, confidentially, to the chapter faculty advisor, Dr. Kate Lewis.
Professor and Biology Department Chair