The Deans’ Team is a group of student ambassadors who serve as a fantastic representation of the College of Arts and Sciences | Maxwell School. While Deans’ Team members come from different majors, states, countries, backgrounds, and more, they all bleed Orange.
What are the responsibilities of the Deans' Team?
Because of their academic strengths, connections to campus activities, communication skills, and leadership qualities, the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and Dean of the Maxwell School rely on Deans’ Team members to serve the College in a variety of ways. Deans’ Team members serve as Student Ambassadors, helping recruit new students to Syracuse, or as Peer Advisors, aiding in their transition to campus. Some Deans’ Team members serve in both roles.
In collaboration with the A&S | Maxwell Admissions Office, Student Ambassadors:
- Meet and communicate with high school and potential transfer students who are interested in coming to Syracuse
- Answer questions from prospective students as well as family members of prospective students
- Show visitors important facilities around campus
- Contribute to social media posts intended to share life at Syracuse with prospective students
- Optionally, serve as First-Year Forum mentors for academic credit
In collaboration with the Office of Academic and Career Advising, Peer Mentors:
- Contact incoming students via email during the summer before their first semester
- Help students transition to college by responding to their questions about Syracuse in general and preparation for their first week of classes (how to use their meal plans, Syracuse app, study spaces, tips to get involved, what to do around campus, etc.)
- Escort new students through campus tours and other cohort building activities during Opening Weekend
- Provide registration advice during Opening Weekend and prior to Spring registration
- Help students adhere to registration deadlines throughout the year
- Provide resume review assistance during workshops throughout the semester
- Contribute to College social media posts and videos to share tips and walk-through videos of academic and career advising tools (registration, degree works, handshake
Are there any perks to Deans' Team membership?
Yes! This type of leadership activity is what employers and graduate schools look for in prospective hires and graduate students. They like to see applicants who have taken extra initiative and have been selected as representatives of their institutions – this is certainly true of Deans’ Team members. Deans’ Team leadership is happy to provide letters of recommendation for members who need them.
Deans’ Team Student Ambassadors are given priority consideration for internships in the A&S | Maxwell Admissions Office. They also earn the reputation as students who serve as the face of A&S | Maxwell, representing both colleges to those outside the University.
Deans’ Team Peer Mentors may be given early move-in dates prior to Opening Weekend (more information to come).
All Deans’ Team members will receive a free Deans’ Team t-shirt and other A&S | Maxwell swag throughout the year, as available.
The Deans’ Team is also a social opportunity, with get-togethers during the semester and a thank-you reception at the end of each year, where members are awarded graduation cords.
We accept applications at the beginning of each spring semester. When the application becomes available, eligible students will receive an email from the Dean Ruhlandt and Dean Van Slyke announcing that it is time to apply! The application will also be available here, on our website.
In reviewing applicants, we work to find students who meet the specific criteria outlined below.
- are actively involved on campus and can tell stories about ways that the College of Arts and Sciences | Maxwell School have allowed them to serve as leaders on campus and develop their practical and professional skills
- are in good academic standing (we will verify this) and can therefore discuss the rigorous nature of their Syracuse education with prospective students and their families
- are friendly and approachable, and make visitors feel comfortable in their presence
- embrace diversity and inclusion and strive to positively influence our community
- are socially outgoing and comfortable reaching out to new students to make them feel welcome
- value diversity and inclusion, and strive to make our campus a more inclusive place through their interactions with prospective students and their families
- are responsible, organized, and prepared to lead other students in their academic planning and success
- are in good academic standing (we will verify this) and can guide students through registration and how to maximize their schedules
- are involved on campus organizations and activities (for example, hold a job on campus, are part of a club or organization, regularly participate in student activities) and can guide students through the opportunities available for students
While the deadline to apply for a student ambassador role has passed, we are still accepting applications from students who are interested in serving as peer mentors.
To apply for a peer mentor role, complete this online application.
The deadline to apply is 11:59 PM on Sunday, April 16, 2023.
If you have any questions about the Deans’ Team, please email Ash Andrews at firstname.lastname@example.org.