Transfer Credit: Frequently Asked Questions
Does Syracuse University accept transfer credit?
Syracuse University accepts transfer credit from any accredited two- or four-year institution.
Can I take Transfer Credit at an institution outside of the United States?
The College of Arts & Sciences does accept transfer credit outside of the United States, however starting in Fall 2019 all current and incoming students will be required to submit a course-by-course W.E.S Evaluation for any credits they have taken outside of the United States. Please check out the W.E.S Evaluation FAQ page for additional information.
How do I transfer credit from another institution that I have not taken to Syracuse University?
You must complete the Transfer Credit Petition prior to registering for classes at another institution.
What signatures do I need to obtain on the transfer credit petition?
- The Major/Minor Department Chairperson will review the petition if the course is to be applied toward your major or minor. For contact information, visit Academic Department websites.
- The appropriate department chairperson will review the petition if the course will be applied toward a language, math, or writing studio requirement for your Liberal Arts Core.
- Return the completed and signed petition to 329 Hall of Languages for College approval.
What signatures do I need to obtain on the online liberal arts transfer credit petition?
- Only your signature if the course is to be applied toward your Liberal Arts Core requirements (not including language, math or writing studio), Arts and Sciences elective credit, or non-Arts and Sciences elective credit.
Is there a maximum number of credits that can be transferred to Syracuse University?
- A maximum of 66 credits from a combination of credit from a two-year college and any other credit (e.g., AP exams, experiential learning) will be accepted.
- A maximum of 90 credits from a combination of credit from a two-year program and four-year program and/or any other credit (e.g., AP credit).
Please note: 30 credit hours must be completed at Syracuse University to receive a Syracuse University degree. Students are able to transfer credit hours; however, grades earned at another institution are not calculated in the Syracuse University grade point average.
Is there a maximum number of transfer credits I can take during my time at Syracuse?
Effective Fall of 2019, students can take up to 16 credits towards their Syracuse University Degree post matriculation.
Please note: Matriculated students who have already transferred in more than 16 credits post matriculation will not be able to transfer in any additional transfer credits.
Is there a maximum number of transfer credits I can count towards my degree?
This depends on where you would like your transfer credits to count.
- For a minor you can take up to a maximum of three transfer credits.
- For a major it varies based on the department preference. Please check the course catalog to find out what your majors specific limits are.
What grade do I need to earn in the approved course to receive transfer credit?
You must earn at least a “C” or better in an approved course to receive transfer credit.
Can I transfer credit for non-Arts and Sciences courses?
Yes. A maximum of 24 non-Arts and Sciences elective credits may count toward degree completion.
Is there a deadline for submitting a transfer credit petition?
No. However, it takes the Transfer Credit Evaluation Team an average of 5-7 business days during the semester to process petitions. During peak times such as registration and the start and end of each semester it will take The Transfer Credit Team 7-10 business days to process a petition.
How will I know if my petition is approved?
Once your petition has been reviewed and approved or denied, we will notify you via email to your Syracuse University syr.edu account.
Once I complete my approved course, how do I officially transfer the credit?
Please have an official (sealed) transcript sent to the following address:
Office of Academic and Career Advising
College of Arts & Sciences
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Civic Engagement
342 Hall of Languages
Syracuse, NY 13244-1170
For electronic official transcript sent to the following email address:
Once we review your official transcript, we will post the credits to your academic record at Syracuse University and they will show up on your Degree Works within 24 hours.