Pre-Health Evaluation Committee
The Office of Pre-Health Advising supports undergraduates as they pursue their chosen career paths and professional goals. When students apply to professional school, Admissions Committees expect applicants to secure a committee letter from their undergraduate institution. The Pre-Health Evaluation committee at Syracuse University provides an evaluative committee letter for students who complete all requirements, including submitting timely applications to professional schools.
Current students who plan to apply to medical or dental schools in 2022 for matriculation in 2023 must attend a Pre-Health Evaluation Committee orientation session. Students can attend one of two sessions offered on November 11th at 5 pm or November 17th at 5 pm. Both sessions take place via Zoom. Current students who wish to attend should register via Handshake. Alumni who wish to attend should email email@example.com to indicate their preferred date of attendance, after which they will receive the Zoom link. Students will be required to submit the "Intent to Apply" form after the orientation session. Alumni planning to apply in 2022 for 2023 matriculation must attend the orientations sessions as well as current undergraduate students.
2022 Application Process for 2023 Matriculation
Fall Semester 2021
- November 11 or 17: Attend Mandatory Pre-Health Evaluation Committee Orientation (RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Once the “Intent and Consent” form is received, all students will receive an email with further instructions.
- December 16, 2021: Deadline to complete the “Intent, Consent, and Waiver” form.
- Once the form is received, all students will receive an email with further instructions.
- January 6, 2022: Complete Applicant Review exercise
- Students may be contacted by a pre-health advisor to discuss this exercise. If requested, this meeting is MANDATORY.
- January 13, 2022: Complete BCPM worksheet
- Include Fall 2021 grades and planned Spring 2022 coursework
- Students may be contacted by a pre-health advisor to discuss this worksheet. If requested, this meeting is MANDATORY.
Spring Semester 2022
- Register for MCAT or DAT exam and provide proof to the Office of Pre-Health Advising
- An exam date no later than May is recommended; later exam dates will affect committee letter release date
- January 27, 2022: Complete Applicant Information and Preparation (AIP) file
- February 24, 2022: Submit 2-4 Requests for Evaluation
- Pre-Health Advising will contact recommenders within five (5) business days of receiving requests.
- Students who have a minimum of two (2) Syracuse University affiliated-requests and a maximum of four (4) requests submitted by this date will be interviewed by the Office of Pre-Health Advising
- March 2- April 26, 2022: Interview with the Office of Pre-Health Advising
- Students will be contacted by a pre-health advisor to schedule an interview time on a rolling basis – some students may schedule their interview before others have been contacted by an advisor.
- An earlier interview does not correlate with time of release of committee letter
- March 31, 2022: Last day to submit a petition to participate with the committee process
- April 7, 2022 – Deadline to submit Personal Statement draft for review (OPTIONAL)
- May 5, 2022: Letters of Recommendation are due to the Office of Pre-Health Advising
- During April, check with Pre-Health Advising on the status of your letters and gently remind recommenders of the due date
Cycle Opens 2022
- Submit your finalized application to the centralized application service by July 29, 2022
- Provide a copy of your officially submitted application and letter request form/email to email@example.com
- Committee Letters will be sent on a rolling basis to professional schools as officially submitted applications are received by the Office of Pre-Health Advising