Build a career roadmap
Build your roadmap to a meaningful career and life after college with these helpful tools.
How do I get started?
Check out these resources, then talk with your advisor.
- Take a peek at the Syracuse University Career Guide for freshmen/sophomores (PDF), juniors/seniors (PDF) and graduate students (PDF).
- Watch this short video, “Career Road Map?”
- The Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) provides helpful information on a wide variety of careers, the latest occupational data, education and training, pay, projected growth rate and much more.
- Check out the Survey of Recent Grads to find out where our alumni are working today.
- The web resource What Can I Do With This Major? offers strategies connecting majors to careers.
Strong Interest Inventory®
This exploration tool offers insight into your interests that will help inform a career choice. The inventory takes about 30 minutes to complete. Interests are broken into six categories, which you discuss with a career counselor to see how these interests translate into career options. Please complete this questionnaire and someone will contact you to begin the inventory.
Not really sure what interests you?
We can help you dig a bit deeper by talking about your options with you, or by providing you with a career assessment.
These career tools can help you think about:
- Values: How your personal and professional values relate to satisfying careers.
- Skills: What strengths you have and that you would like to use in a career.
- Interests: Thinking about your interests will help you determine which of your interests align with careers.
- Preferences: What energizes or drains you?
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator ® (MBTI) is a questionnaire designed to measure your psychological preferences and help make them understandable and useful. You’ll answer questions related to how you deal with the world, how you gather information, how you make decisions, and what your orientation is to others. You will learn about your preferences and how they correspond to career areas
Job Shadows, Coffee Chats and Informational Interviews
Hundreds of alumni around the country offer their time to our students. Coffee chats, informational interviewing, and shadowing are great ways to learn about your career interests, specific industries, and organizational culture. Build and expand your professional network and connect with members of the Orange family! To take advantage of these opportunities, keep your eye out for emails from us before each school break, and check Handshake.