Amy S. Wyngaard
Research and Teaching Interests
Amy S. Wyngaard specializes in seventeenth- and eighteenth-century French literature and cultural history. The author of From Savage to Citizen: The Invention of the Peasant in the French Enlightenment (U of Delaware Press, 2004) and Bad Books: Rétif de la Bretonne, Sexuality, and Pornography (U of Delaware Press, 2012), she has written articles appearing in PMLA, Eighteenth-Century Studies, MLN, Modern Language Quarterly, Studies on Voltaire and the Eighteenth Century, and Eighteenth-Century Fiction. From 2007-2020, she edited Symposium: A Quarterly Journal in Modern Literatures, which has been produced by the Department since 1946. She teaches courses on a variety of topics, including the French Enlightenment, libertine fiction, women writers, Molière, and the culture of absolutism.
Bad Books: Rétif de la Bretonne, Sexuality, and Pornography, by Amy Wyngaard, University of Delaware Press; Reprint edition (March 30, 2015), 160pp., ISBN-13: 978-1611495737
From Savage to Citizen: The Invention of the Peasant in the French Enlightenment, by Amy S. Wyngaard, Univ of Delaware Pr (September 1, 2004), 252pp., ISBN-13: 978-0874138535
FRE 301 Grammar and Composition
FRE 315 French Civilization
FRE 403 Literature and Film
FRE 405/605 Culture in the Age of Louis XIV
FRE 407/607 Libertine Fictions
FRE 409/609 Culture and Revolution
FRE 411/611 Molière
FRE 412/612 French Women Writers
- Ph.D., French Literature, University of Pennsylvania (1998)
- M.A., French Literature, University of Pennsylvania (1994)
- B.A., French and Humanities, University of Colorado-Boulder (1992, magna cum laude)
- NEH Professor of the Humanities, Colgate University, Fall 2014
- Professor, French and Francophone Studies, Syracuse University, 2013-present
- Associate Professor, French and Francophone Studies, Syracuse University, 2004-2013
- Assistant Professor, French and Francophone Studies, Syracuse University, 1998-2004
- Editor, Symposium: A Quarterly Journal in Modern Literatures, 2007-2020
- French Book Review Editor, Symposium: A Quarterly Journal in Modern Literatures, 2004-2007
- Editorial Board, Symposium: A Quarterly Journal in Modern Literatures, 1998-2007
Selected Journal Articles
"The End of Pornography: The Story of Story of O." MLN 130 (2015): 980-997.
"Translating Sade: The Grove Press Editions, 1953-1968." Romanic Review 104.3-4 (2013): 313-331.
"Defining Obscenity, Inventing Pornography: The Limits of Censorship in Rétif de la Bretonne.” Modern Language Quarterly 71 (March 2010): 15-49.
"The Fetish in/as Text: Rétif de la Bretonne and the Development of Modern Sexual Science and French Literary Studies, 1887-1934.” PMLA 121 (May 2006): 663-686.
"Literary Texts or Historical Documents? Revisiting the Debates on Rétif de la Bretonne.” Studies on Voltaire and the Eighteenth Century 4 (2005): 171-180.
"Switching Codes: Class, Clothing, and Cultural Change in the Works of Marivaux and Watteau.” Eighteenth-Century Studies 33 (Summer 2000): 523-541.