Jason R. Wiles
Education research in the Life and Earth Sciences, with special attention to teaching and learning about biological evolution; increasing diversity among students and professionals in STEM fields; science education at all academic levels.
- Ph.D., McGill University
- M.S., Mississippi State University
- M.S.T., Portland State University
- B.A., Harding University
- BIO 121: General Biology I
- BIO 123: General Biology II
- BIO 124: General Biology II Lab
- BIO 200: Introduction to Biology Research at Syracuse University
- BIO 310: Evolutionary Biology, Religion, and Society
- BIO 360: Biology Laboratory Assistant
- BIO/SCI 544: College Science Teaching
- IDE 880: Advanced Topics: Instructional Design - Biology
- Scientific advisor to religious leaders of the Clergy Letter Project and principal author of the Humanist Clergy Letter.
- Associate Professor of Science Teaching, Department of Science Teaching (courtesy appointment)
- Associate Professor of Science Teaching, Department of Earth Sciences (courtesy appointment)
- Biology Faculty, Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA)
- Primary Faculty, Future Professoriate Program (FPP)
- Affiliated Faculty Member, Forensic & National Security Science Institute (FNSSI)
- Teacher Advisory Board, Understanding Evolution (University of California, Berkeley)
McCullough, E.L., Verdeflor, L., Weinsztok, A., Wiles, J.R., and Dorus, S., "Exploratory Activities for Understanding Evolutionary Relationships Depicted by Phylogenetic Trees: United but Diverse", The American Biology Teacher, (2020) 82 (5): 333-337. https://doi.org/10.1525/abt.2020.82.5.333
- Dunk, R. D. P. et al. (22 co-authors) & Wiles, J. R. (2019). Evolution Education is a Complex Landscape. Nature Ecology & Evolution. doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-019-0802-9
- Searles, B., Riley, J., Darling, E., & Wiles, J. R. (2018). Fundamental Clinical Skills of Adult Cardiopulmonary Bypass: Results of the 2017 National Survey.Perfusion. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0267659118816036
- Dunk, R. D. P., Petto, A. J., Wiles, J. R., & Campbell, B. C. (2017) A multifactorial analysis of acceptance of evolution. Evolution: Education and Outreach 10:4. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12052-017-0068-0.
- Carter, B. E., Conn, C. C., & Wiles, J. R. (2016). Concern about hunger may increase receptivity to GMOs. Trends in Plant Science 21(7). DOI:10.1016/j.tplants.2016.05.003
- Snyder, J. J., Sloane, J. D., Dunk, R. D. P., & Wiles, J. R. (2016). Peer-led team learning helps minority students succeed. PLoS Biology 14(3): e1002398. DOI:10.1371/journal.pbio.1002398
- Snyder, J. J., Carter, B. E., & Wiles, J. R. (2015). Implementation of the peer-led team-learning instructional model as a stopgap measure improves student achievement for students opting out of laboratory. CBE Life Sciences Education 14(1). DOI:10.1187/cbe.13-08-0168
- Carter, B. E., Infanti, L. M., & Wiles, J. R. (2015). Boosting students' attitudes & knowledge about evolution sets them up for college success. The American Biology Teacher 77(2), 113-116. DOI:10.1525/abt.2015.77.2.6
- Snyder, J. J. & Wiles, J. R. (2015). Peer led team learning in introductory biology: Effects on peer leader critical thinking skills. PLoS ONE 10(1):e0115084 DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0115084
- Infanti, L. M. & Wiles, J. R. (2014). "Evo in the News": A pedagogical tool to enhance students' perceptions of the relevance of evolutionary biology. Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching 40(2), 9-14.
- Carter, B. E. & Wiles, J. R. (2014). Scientific consensus and social controversy: exploring relationships between students' conceptions of the nature of science, biological evolution, and global climate change. Evolution: Education and Outreach 7(6). DOI:10.1186/s12052-014-0006-3.
- Wiles, J. R. (2014). Gifted students' perceptions of their acceptance of evolution, changes in acceptance, and factors involved therein. Evolution: Education and Outreach 7(4). DOI:10.1186/s12052-014-0004-5.
- Jacobs-McDaniels, N. L.*, Albertson, R. C., Maine, E. M., & Wiles, J. R.* (2013). Using model organisms in an undergraduate laboratory to link genotype, phenotype, and the environment. Journal of Biological Education 47(1) 52-59.
- Dotger, S., Barry, D., Wiles, J. R., Benevento, E., Brzozowski, F., Hurtado, J. L., Jacobs-McDaniels, N. L., Royse, E., Ruppel, R., Sen, D., Snyder, J., Stokes, R., & Wisner, E. (2012). Developing graduate students' knowledge of Hardy Weinberg equilibrium through lesson study. Journal of College Science Teaching 40(1), 40-44.
- Wiles, J. R. & Alters, B. (2011). Effects of an educational experience incorporating an inventory of factors influencing students' acceptance of biological evolution. International Journal of Science Education. DOI:10.1080/09500693.2011.565522.
- Jacobs, N. L., Albertson, R. C., & Wiles, J. R. (2011). Using whole mount in situ hybridization in a comparative vertebrate biology course to demonstrate the role of genetics in anatomical development. JoVE: Journal of Visualized Experiments. DOI:10.3791/2533.
- BouJaoude, S., Wiles, J. R., Asghar, A., & Alters, B. (2011). Muslim Egyptian and Lebanese students' conceptions of biological evolution. Science & Education. DOI:10.1007/s11191-011-9345-4.
- Wiles, J. R. (2011). Challenges to teaching evolution: What's a head? Futures 43(6). DOI:10.1016/j.futures.2011.05.02.
- BouJaoude, S., Asghar, A., Wiles, J. R., Jaber, L., Sarieddine, D., & Alters, B. (2011). Biology professors' and teachers' positions regarding biological evolution and evolution education in a Middle Eastern society. International Journal of Science Education 33(7). DOI:10.1080/09500693.2010.489124.
- Asghar, A., Wiles, J. R., & Alters, B. (2010). The origin and evolution of life in Pakistani High School Biology. Journal of Biological Education 44(2), 65-71.
- Wiles, J. R. & Branch, G. (2008). Teachers who won't, don't, or can't teach evolution properly: A burning issue. The American Biology Teacher 70(1): 6-7.
- Asghar, A., Wiles, J. R. & Alters, B. (2007). Canadian preservice elementary teachers' conceptions of biological evolution and evolution education. McGill Journal of Education 42 (2): 189-209.
- Asghar, A., Wiles, J. R. & Alters, B. (2007). Discovering international perspectives on biological evolution across religions and cultures. International Journal of Diversity 6 (4): 81-88.
- Wiles, J. R. (2006). Evolution in schools: Where's Canada? Education Canada, 46(4): 37-41.
- Wiles, J. R. (2006). A Threat to geoscience education: Creationist anti-evolution activity in Canada. Geoscience Canada 33(3): 135-140.
- Wiles, J. R. (2005). Is evolution Arkansas's "hidden curriculum"? Reports of the National Center for Science Education 25(1-2): 32-36.
(Aug. 26, 2021)
Associate professor Jason Wiles receives awards and honors for his innovative teaching and commitment to diversifying STEM.
(March 25, 2021)
Eve Humphrey and Jason Wiles worked with SU students to investigate some of challenges and opportunities associated with virtual learning during the pandemic.
(July 7, 2020)
A&S biologists win the Thomas Henry Huxley Award for their creation of an evolutionary learning module.
(Nov. 13, 2017)
Study Shows Understanding Nature of Science More Important than Just Learning Facts
(April 11, 2017)
Science Teaching Leads Charge to Support Student Diversity
(Jan. 11, 2017)
Jason Wiles’ Education Efforts Awarded at National Conference
(Dec. 14, 2016)
Award Recognizes Innovative Teaching, Community Outreach