Michele G. Wheatly
Michele G. Wheatly
Professor and Special Advisor to the Chancellor
342 Life Sciences Complex
- ACE Institute for Chief Academic Officers (2012-2013)
- Executive Training, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (2007)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Calgary (1980-1983)
- Ph.D., Comparative Physiology, , Birmingham University, U.K. (1980)
- B.Sc., Biological Sciences, Birmingham University, U.K. (1977)
- Comparative physiology of decapod crustacea.
- Gas exchange, ion and acid-base regulation in response to environmental changes including salinity, temperature, dissolved gases, exercise, and the advance from aquatic to terrestrial existence.
- Cellular and molecular biology of epithelial (branchial/renal) ion motive proteins.
- Temporal and spatial regulation of genes coding for Ca2+ transporting proteins.
- Biologically inspired adaptive interfaces.
- Access of underrepresented groups to STEM careers.
- Women in higher education leadership.
- Diversity Award (COSM), Wright State University (2009)
- Ohio Women's Hall of Fame, Governor of Ohio (2008)
- Dayton's Ten Top Women, Dayton Community (2007)
- Quest Community Award (CLASS), Wright State University (2004)
- Outstanding Faculty Member, Wright State University Board of Trustees (2000)
- Outstanding Collaborative Unit, Wright State University Presidential Award (1999)
- L'ship in Women's Advancement, Wright State University (1997)
- Teaching Incentive Program, University of Florida (1993)
- Presidential Medal (early career), Society for Experimental Biology (1988)
- Society for Experimental Biology
- Canadian Society of Zoologists
- Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology
- American Physiological Society
- Crustacean Society
- Sigma Xi
- International Association of Astacology
- Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory
- Ohio Academy of Sciences
- Ohio Physiological Society
- American Association of University Women
- Council for Undergraduate Research
- Association for College and University Biology Educators
- Association for Women in Science
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Science Teachers Association
- Phi Beta Delta Honor Society
- Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences
- Council of Arts and Sciences in Urban Universities
- Association of Public and Land-grant Universities: Council on Academic Affairs
- Education Advisory Board: Provost's Roundtable
- Big XII Provosts
- American Council on Education (ACAO)
- Rohrback, S., M. G. Wheatly, and C. M. Gillen. 2015. Calcium binding to Procambarus clarkii sarcoplasmic calcium binding protein splice variants. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 179B, 57-63.
- White, A. J., M. J. Northcutt, S. E. Rohrback, R. O. Carpenter, M. M. Niehaus-Sauter, Y. Gao, M. G. Wheatly, and C. M. Gillen. 2011. Characterization of sarcoplasmic calcium binding protein (SCP) variants from freshwater crayfish Procambarus clarkii. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 160B, 8-14.
- Gao, Y., C. M. Gillen, D. R. Whalen, F. M. Vigo, A. E. Golshani, and M. G. Wheatly. 2009. Expression of genes encoding Ca2+ exporting proteins in freshwater crayfish Procambarus clarkii during cold acclimation. Journal of Thermal Biology, 34, 144-151.
- Gao, Y., C. M. Gillen, and M. G. Wheatly. 2009. Cloning and characterization of a calmodulin gene (CaM) in crayfish Procambarus clarkii and expression during molting. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 152B, 216-225.
- Gillen, C. M., Y. Gao, M. M. Niehaus-Sauter, M. R. Wylde, and M. G. Wheatly. 2008. Elongation factor 1Bγ (eEF1Bγ) expression during the molting cycle and cold acclimation in the crayfish Procambarus clarkii. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 150B, 170-176.
- Wheatly, M. G., Y. Gao, and C. M. Gillen. 2007. Paradox of cell calcium homeostasis during vectorial transfer in crayfish kidney. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 152, 267-272.
- Gao, Y., and M. G. Wheatly. 2007. Molecular cloning of an epithelial Ca2+ channel (ECaC) like gene from crayfish Procambarus clarkii. Journal of Experimental Biology, 210, 1813-1824.
- Wheatly, M. G., Y. Gao, L. M. Stiner, D.R. Whalen, M. Nade, F. Vigo, and A. E. Golshani. 2007. Roles of NCX and PMCA in basolateral calcium export associated with mineralization cycles and cold acclimation in crayfish. New York Annals of Science, 1099, 190-192.
- Gao, Y., C. M. Gillen, and M. G. Wheatly. 2006. Molecular characterization of the sarcoplasmic calcium-binding protein (SCP) from crayfish Procambarus clarkii. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 144B, 478-487.
- Zanotto, F. P., and M. G. Wheatly. 2006. Ion regulation in invertebrates: molecular and integrative aspects. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology, 79, 357-62.
- Wheatly, M. G., and Y. Gao. 2004. Molecular biology of ion motive proteins in comparative models. Journal of Experimental Biology, 207, 3253-3263.
- Gao, Y., and M. G. Wheatly. 2004. Characterization and expression of plasma membrane Ca2+ ATPase (PMCA3) in crayfish, Procambarus clarkii, antennal gland during moulting. Journal of Experimental Biology, 207, 2991-3002.
- Zanotto, F. P., M. G. Wheatly, C. L. Reiber, A. T. Gannon, and E. Jalles-Filho. 2004. The allometry of postmolt net ion uptake, ventilation and circulation in the freshwater crayfish Procambarus clarkii: intraspecific scaling. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology, 77, 275-284.Wheatly Appendix, Page 5
- Zanotto, F. P., and M. G. Wheatly. 2003. Calcium balance in crustaceans: nutritional aspects of physiological regulation. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 133A, 645-660.
- Stiner, L.M., Z. Zhang, and M. G. Wheatly. 2002. Localization and molecular characterization of the crayfish NCX. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 976, 77-80.
- Chen, D., Z. Zhang, M. G. Wheatly, and Y. Gao. 2002. Cloning and characterization of the heart muscle isoform of sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase (SERCA) from crayfish. Journal of Experimental Biology, 205, 2677-2686.
- Wheatly, M. G., F. P. Zanotto, and M. G. Hubbard. 2002. Calcium homeostasis in crustaceans: subcellular Ca dynamics. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 132B, 163-178.
- Wheatly, M. G., M. G. Hubbard, and A. Corbett. 2002. Physiological characterization of the Na+/Ca2+ exchanger (NCX) in hepatopancreatic and antennal gland basolateral membrane vesicles isolated from the freshwater crayfish Procambarus clarkii. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 131, 343-361.
- Wheatly, M. G., Y. Gao, N. Freire, and F. P. Zanotto. 2001. Subcellular calcium homeostasis during transepithelial calcium flux associated with crustacean molting: what role do SERCAs and PMCAs play? In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Satellite Symposium on the Comparative Endocrinology of Calcium Regulation. (Eds. C. V. Gay, C. G. Dacke, J. A. Danks and P. A. Cox).
- Gannon, A. T., M. G. Wheatly, and K. E. Everson. 2001. Infestation rates of the ectocommensal gill barnacle, (Octolasmis muelleri), on blue crabs, effects of salinity and the impact of the barnacle on crab mortality. In: V. Guillory, H. M. Perry, and S. J. VanderKooy (eds.) Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission-Proceedings of Blue Crab Mortality Symposium. Publ. No. 90. Pp. 61-68 Ocean Springs, Mississippi.