317 Physics Building
- 1986 Ph.D. in Physics Institute of Nuclear Physics, Krakow, Poland
- 1982 MS.C. in Physics Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
- Experimental elementary particle physics.
- Search for new forces in weak decays of particles with charm and beauty.
- Spectroscopy of heavy quarkonia.
- Computing and instrumentation for high energy physics.
- Presently involved in the LHCb experiment at CERN. Previously participated in CLEO (Cornell), BTeV (Fermilab), GEM (SSC), Crystal Ball and LENA (DESY) projects.
The High Energy Group at SU is part of the LHCb experiment at CERN.
(March 26, 2019)
Findings by Professor Tomasz Skwarnicki recast understanding of structural matter
(Aug. 13, 2018)
High-Energy Physics Group using NSF grant award to support ongoing data analysis, construction of new tracking device
(Nov. 27, 2017)
Nathan Jurik G'16 recognized for groundbreaking work on pentaquarks
(Oct. 16, 2017)
Syracuse's High-Energy Physics group is building, testing new detector for LHCb experiment in Geneva, Switzerland
(July 7, 2016)
Professor Tomasz Skwarnicki, Thomas Britton G'16 confirm existence of rare 'exotic' particle, find evidence of three others
(Dec. 14, 2015)
Syracuse physicists led data analysis, putting to rest 51-year-old mystery
(July 14, 2015)
Discovery marks culmination of decades-long search for elusive particles
Physicists Discover Family of Tetraquarks
LHCb's Pentaquark Discovery Named 'Top-10 Breakthrough' of 2015
National Science Foundation Awards Elite Team of Syracuse University Physicists $5.2 Million
SU professors test boundaries of 'new physics' with discovery of four-quark hadron
- Measurement of tau decays involving eta mesons with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 69 (1992) 3278.
- First measurement of the rate for the inclusive radiative penguin decay b -> s gamma with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74 (1995) 2885.
- Observation of B->phi K and B->phi K*. with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86 (2001) 3718.
- First observation of a Upsilon(1D) state with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. D70 (2004) 032001.
- Search for Very Light CP-odd Higgs Boson in Radiative Decays of Upsilon(1S) with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101 (2008) 151802.
- First observation of the decay Bc+ -> J/psi pi+pi-pi+ with the LHCb collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108 (2012) 251802.
- Determination of the X(3872) meson quantum numebrs. with the LHCb collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110 (2013) 222001.
- Observation of the resonant character of the Z(4430). with the LHCb collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112 (2014) 222002.
- Observation of J/psi p resonances consistent with pentaquark states in Lambda_b^0 to J/psi K- p decays. with the LHCb collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 115 (2015) 07201
- Observation of J/psi phi structures consistent with exotic states from amplitude analysis of B+ -> J/psi phi K+ decays, with the LHCb collaboration, arXiv:1606.07895 (submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett.)
- Award of the Counsel of Atomic Research in Poland for the thesis dissertation (1986).
- Recipient of the Outstanding Junior Investigator Grant from DOE and of the SSC Fellowship from TNRLC (1993).
- American Physical Society Fellow (2001-).
- Chancellor's Citation for Faculty Excellence and Scholarly Distinction, Syracuse University, 2008.
- Honored as "Pole of The Year" at Polish Festival, Syracuse (2008).
- Member of Physics Advisory Committee for the Belle experiment, KEK, Japan (2007-2012).
- Distinguished Fellow of Eminent Scientists of Polish Origin and Ancestry, Kosciuszko Foundation (2014).
- American Physical Society
- Polish Physical Society
- Board member of Syracuse Friends of Chamber Music
- Sierra Club
Links to the external news posts related to the observations of the tetraquark and pentaquark states (click on the image)