Research and Teaching Interests
Biotechnology, Cell Biology, Genetics and Cancer Biology:
- Cancer treatments using signal transduction, cell cycle regulation.
- Post-translational gene regulation via AU-rich elements.
- Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling and regulation of RNA binding proteins.
Broadening participation of underrepresented and underserved populations in biology and biotechnology fields through:
- Course-based research in the undergraduate biology curriculum.
- Implementing service-learning based science outreach programs in the community.
- Developing strategies and techniques that build resiliency for students.
Education and Experience
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology, North Carolina Central University, Durham NC (2004-2017)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, National Institute of Environmental Health Science, Research Triangle Park, NC (2003-2004)
- Ph.D., Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University, Durham NC (2002)
- B.S., Neuropsychology and Anthropological Zoology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (1994)
- BIO 300: Topics in Biotechnology
- BIO 326: Genetics
- BIO 400: Pharmaceuticals and Cells
- BIO 400: Microbes in Biotechnology and Medicine