Mary Louise Edwards
Research and Teaching Interests
Professor Edwards specializes in the nature of disordered phonology; clinical applications of phonological theory; phonological awareness abilities of children with productive phonological impairments, and long-range outcomes for such children.
SPP/CSD 316/616 Introduction to Applied Phonetics
SPP/CSD 427/627 Articulation Disorders
SPP/CSD 638 Clinical Phonology
CSD 436/636 Cultural and Linguistic Issues in Communication Sciences & Disorders
University of Maine-Orono, B.A., English, 1968
Ohio State University, M.A., Linguistics, 1970
Stanford University, Ph.D., Linguistics, 1979
- Preston, J. L., Ramsdell, H. L., Oller, D. K., Edwards, M. L., & Tobin, S. J. (2011). Developing a weighted measure of speech sound accuracy. Journal of Speech,Language & Hearing Research, Feb:54(1): 1-18.
- Preston, J.L. & Edwards, M.L. (2010). Phonological awareness and types of sound errors in preschoolers with speech sound disorders. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 53, 44-60. (Published online August 28, 2009.)
- Preston, J.L. & Edwards, M.L. (2009). Speed and accuracy of rapid speech output by adolescents with residual speech sound errors including rhotics. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 23 (4), 301-318.
- Preston, J.L. & Edwards, M.L. (2007). Phonological processing skills of adolescents with residual speech sound errors. Language Speech and Hearing Services in Schools, 38, 297-308.
- Edwards, M.L. (2007). Phonological theories. In B.H. Hodson, Assessing and enhancing children’s phonological skills. Greenville, SC: Thinking Publications.