B.A. University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
M.S. University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
Ph.D. University of Kentucky
Research and Teaching Interests
My research and clinical interests focus on developmental psychopathology, with specific emphasis on attention deficit / hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) across the lifespan. I am particularly interested in further investigating and understanding the heterogeneity of ADHD (especially ADHD in the context of autism spectrum disorder as well as medical disorders such as 22q11.2 deletion syndrome). My goal is to use information about the heterogeneity of ADHD to further explore and predict mediators and moderators of treatment outcomes.
Students interested in ADHD, comorbidity with autism spectrum disorder/medical conditions, behavioral treatment and/or social/peer relationships would be an especially good match for my lab. Initially, students will join an existing study to help gain research and clinical experience. As student’s progress in our APA accredited doctoral program, students are encouraged to develop novel research ideas to investigate. All of my students have significant opportunities to present and publish from currently recruiting studies as well as several large existing databases.
Below, please find several recent representative publications. Additional publications can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=antshel
- VanderDrift, L., Antshel, K. M. and Olszewski, A. (2017). Inattention and Hyperactivity-Impulsivity: Their Detrimental Effect on Romantic Relationship Maintenance. In press at Journal of Attention Disorders.
- Antshel, K.M., Fremont, W., Ramanathan, S., & Kates, W.R. (2017). Predicting Cognition and Psychosis in Young Adults With 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome. In press at Schizophrenia Bulletin.
- Rommelse, N., van der Kruijs, M., Damhuis, J., Hoek, I., Smeets, S., Antshel, K.M., Hoogeveen, L., & Faraone, S.V. (2016). An evidenced-based perspective on the validity of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in the context of high intelligence. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Review, 71, 21-47.
- Zaso, M., Park, A., & Antshel, K. M. (2015). Treatments for adolescents with comorbid ADHD and Substance Use Disorder: A systematic review. In press at Journal of Attention Disorders.
- Kates, W.R., Russo, N., Wood, W., Antshel, K.M., Faraone, S., & Fremont, W. (2015). Neurocognitive and familial moderators of psychiatric risk in velocardiofacial (22q11.2 deletion) syndrome: a longitudinal study. Psychological Medicine, 45, 1629-1639.
- Antshel, K. M. (2015). Psychosocial interventions in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: Update. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 24, 79-97.
- Antshel, K. M. (2014). Commentary: Autism traits may be more prevalent in ADHD than previously reported. Evidence Based Mental Health, 17(3), 83-84.
- Antshel, K.M., Biederman, J., Spencer, T.J., & Faraone, S.V. (2014). The neuropsychological profile of comorbid Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in adult ADHD. In press at Journal of Attention Disorders.
- Antshel, K.M., Faraone, S.V., & Gordon, M. (2014). Cognitive behavioral treatment outcomes in adolescent ADHD. Journal of Attention Disorders, 18, 483-495.
- Schneider, M., Debbané, M., Bassett, A.S., Chow, E.W., Fung, W.L., van den Bree, M.B., Owen, M., Murphy, K.C., Niarchou, M., Kates, W.R., Antshel, K.M., Fremont, W., McDonald-McGinn, D.M., Gur, R.E., Zackai, E.H., Vorstman, J., Duijff, S.N., Klaassen, P.W., Swillen, A., Gothelf, D., Green, T., Weizman, A., Van Amelsvoort, T., Evers, L., Boot, E., Shashi, V., Hooper, S.R., Bearden, C.E., Jalbrzikowski, M., Armando, M., Vicari, S., Murphy, D.G., Ousley, O., Campbell, L.E., Simon, T.J., Eliez, S. for the International Consortium on Brain and Behavior in 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome. (2014). Psychiatric disorders from childhood to adulthood in 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome: Results from the International Consortium on Brain and Behavior in 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome. American Journal of Psychiatry, 171(6), 627-639.
- Faraone, S., & Antshel, K.M. (2014). Towards an evidence-based taxonomy of nonpharmacologic treatments for ADHD. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 23, 965-972.
- Antshel, K.M., Zhang-James, Y., & Faraone, S.V. (2013). The comorbidity of ADHD and autism spectrum disorder. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, 13(10), 1117-1128.
- Antshel, K.M., Hendricks, K., Shprintzen, R. Fremont, W., Higgins, A.M., Faraone, S.V., & Kates, W. (2013). The Longitudinal Course of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Velo-Cardio-Facial Syndrome. Journal of Pediatrics, 163(1), 187-193.
- Antshel, K. M., Hier, B. O., & Barkley, R. (2013). Executive functioning theory and ADHD. Handbook of Executive Functioning (pps. 107-120). S. Goldstein & J. Naglieri (Editors): Springer Publishing.
- Antshel, K. M. (2013). ADHD. Case Studies in Clinical Psychological Science: Bridging the Gap from Science to Practice (pp. 25-53). W. O’Donohue & S. Lillienfeld (Editors). Oxford University Press.
(Aug. 23, 2018)
Professor Kevin Antshel is inaugural recipient of grant, training students to think entrepreneurially
(Oct. 20, 2016)
New grant supports development of preventative measures