Apply: Ph.D. in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
Syracuse University Ph.D. in Speech Language Pathology and Audiology Application Instructions
Applicants for the PhD program in Speech-Language Pathology are eligible for consideration if they have already completed their Master's degree in Speech-Language Pathology (or will have completed it prior to starting the PhD program).
Applicants for the PhD program in Audiology are eligible for consideration if they have already completed their AuD degree. Please note that we also offer a combined AuD/PhD program, which requires students to first be accepted into the AuD program (with application through CSDCAS); application to the dual AuD/PhD program is then made after successful completion of the first year of the AuD program, and requires the agreement of a research mentor and a separate admissions decision.
It is expected that students have had contact with a potential mentor prior to submitting their PhD application. In addition to the materials below, an interview will be required as part of the application process.
- Submit your application and upload materials to:
- Online Graduate Application and $75 application fee
- Official Transcripts
- Personal Statement/Essay (1000 words) Custom essay prompts/questions are listed below.
- GRE scores sent to SU using code 2823
- 3 letters of recommendation. At least two should be individuals familiar with your academic potential.
- International Student application
- International (non-Canadian) students must submit your TOEFL score to Syracuse University (school code 2823)
- SUIA form and supporting financial documentation
- Degree bearing transcript
Degree bearing transcript must be sent to Syracuse University once our admission offer is accepted.
621 Skytop Road, Suite 1200
Syracuse, NY 13244-5290
- Financial Assistance
All applicants are considered for departmental awards including tuition scholarships and graduate assistantships. No separate application is needed. Awards are determined by application merit as compared with the cohort.
- Please write an essay describing your reasons for pursuing this degree. We are interested not only in personal reasons, but also intellectual ones. Therefore, please include ALL of the following components in one cohesive essay of approximately 1000 words.
- A brief introduction to what has motivated you to pursue this research degree in general and at Syracuse University specifically.
- Discuss a specific research finding that is related to the area that you wish to study. Summarize the study, indicate why you believe it is important, and provide a proper citation.
- If applicable, write a separate paragraph of 250 words or fewer (in the same document) discussing the following:
- If there were semesters or courses during your undergraduate or graduate career when your GPA was low and/or if your transcript includes withdrawals, incompletes or course repeats, what were the circumstances? How do you believe these grades and circumstances reflect on your ability to succeed in a PhD program?
- If you are a re-applicant to our program, please discuss your circumstances and what have you done to improve your application and preparation for a PhD program as well as to show your commitment to a research career.