M.S. in Mathematics
There are two options that lead to the degree of Master of Science in Mathematics. They are Mathematics and Mathematics with an emphasis in statistics.
I. General Requirements
All candidates for the M.S. Degree in Mathematics must satisfy the same general requirements. They are:
- Completion at least 30 hours of graduate work including at least 18 hours of work at the 600-level or above.
- Maintaining a grade point average of at least 3.00 in at least 15 hours of work in mathematics at the 600-level or above.
- The Graduate School of Syracuse University also requires that the student maintain a grade point average of at least 3.00 for the work comprising the program for the degree.
- Maintain a grade point average of at least 2.80 in the first 30 hours of graduate credit.
- Maintain a grade point average of at least 2.80 for all credits earned.
II. Course Requirements in the Mathematics Option
- Students following the mathematics track to the Masters Degree in Mathematics are required to complete two foundational courses in each area. The areas and choices of foundational courses are:
- Algebra - MAT 631-632
- Analysis - MAT 601-602
- Applicable mathematics -
- MAT 645-646 or MAT 651-652 or MAT 682-683 or MAT 683-684
2. Complete four electives chosen from the lists of approved graduate courses given below.
Electives in Mathematics
The list of approved electives for this requirement includes all courses offered by the Mathematics Department at the 600-level or higher and the following 500-level mathematics courses:
- MAT 513 (Introduction to Complex Analysis)
- MAT 517 (Partial Differential Equations)
- MAT 518 (Topics in Applied Mathematics)
- MAT 521* Introduction to Probability and Statistics)
- MAT 525 (Mathematical Statistics)
- MAT 526 (Probability)
- MAT 541 (Number Theory)
- MAT 551 (Fundamental Concepts of Geometry)
- MAT 554 (Differential Geometry)
- MAT 581** (Numerical Methods with Programming)
*MAT 521 may be included only if it is followed by either MAT 525 or MAT 526 or a more advanced probability or statistics course.
**MAT 581 may be included only if at least one of the following is also included: MAT 682, MAT 683, or MAT 684 and only if it is taken in the student's first year of graduate study at Syracuse University.
Up to two courses offered by other departments may be included. These courses must be given prior approval by the Mathematics Graduate Committee.
III. Course Requirements in the Mathematics with an Emphasis in Statistics Option
Students following the track in mathematics with an emphasis in statistics to the Masters Degree in Mathematics are required to:
- Complete MAT 601, 651-652, and 631
- Complete 2 elective chosen from the list of approved statistics courses given below.
- MAT/STT 750 (Statistical Consulting)
- MAT 653 (Statistical Simulation and Nonstandard Data Analysis)
- MAT 654 (Linear Models)
- MAT 755 (Multivariate Statistical Analysis)
3. Complete four electives chosen from the lists of approved graduate courses listed below:
- Electives in Mathematics: This list consists of the courses in item II.2 above (Mathematics Electives)
- Electives in Applied Statistics:
- APM 625
- MAS 766 (Linear Statistical Models I: Regression Models)
- MAS 777 (Times Series Modeling and Analysis)
- PSY 853 (Experimental Design and Statistical Tests)
- PSY 854 (Statistical Analysis in Research Design)
- PSY 857 (Multivariate Analysis)